Mountains of Fire - Stromboli to Etna
- walking & study tour with a volcanologist to Etna, Vulcano, Lipari and Stromboli -
- Active volcanic activity on Etna and Stromboli
- Small group size
- Beaches and accommodation
- Good levels of effort and relaxation
- Delicious south-Italian food and wine
- Accompanying volcanologist from our team
Itinerary 9 days
Arrival and pick-up in Catania, private transfer to the hotel in the old city of Catania
Transfer to Vulcano Island, visit of fumaroles on the beach, volcanic mud pools, swimming. Climb Vulcano's active crater.
Transfer to Stromboli. Free time until afternoon, climb to Stromboli's active craters, eruption viewing from close range.
Two full days on Stromboli: boat trips around the island and to the Sciara del Fuoco at night. Optional other excursions (e.g. day-trip to Panarea). Optional additional climbs to the active craters of Stromboli.
Transfer to Lipari island, visit of castle, archeological museum and obsidian deposits. In the afternoon, transfer to Etna.
Full day excursion towards the summit region of Etna, to observe its smoking craters and volcanic activity if present..
Second full day excursion on Etna. An interesting option includes a spectacular hike into the giant Valle del Bove depression on the SE flank.
Departure from Catania or extension program
Due to weather conditions and volcanic activity, the exact itinerary might vary slightly.
Group size: 4-8
Duration: 9 days / 8 nights
Dates:29 Apr - 7 May 2017
13-21 May 2017
10-18 Jun 2017
30 Sep - 8 Oct 2017
14-22 Oct 2017
Price (p.p.): 2580 € ?
- Accommodation in double (shared) room
- Half-board (except on day to climb Stromboli), usually dinner menu (including water and table wine or beer, coffee in reasonable amounts)
- All transports and excursions as described in the program
- Entry fees to museums, volcanoes, archaeological sites etc. as described
- Fully authorized volcanologist mountain guides
- Experienced volcanologist from our team (usually Tom Pfeiffer or Marco Fulle)
The tour starts and ends in Catania (airport).
Travel arrangements to and from Catania are not included in the tour package, in order to give everybody the best chance to plan his/her trip according his preferences. Catania is easily reached by plane or train (e.g. from Rome airport or other cities). We will be happy to make suggestions and can help you with such travel arrangements, as well as assist you with your international travel to Italy.